Click on links for full details (where available). The outline list of dates for the summer programme is given below with full details of the first three walks. Further details of the other visits, and one or two additions which are still being explored, will be in the next Newsletter and will appear here in April , as well as full details of the July and August trips. We also have a Winter Lecture Programme
|Saturday 20th April 2013||Regional IA Conference (Keynsham, Bristol)|
|Sunday 28th April 2013||Afternoon Walk, Forest of Dean - the Whitecroft area|
|Sunday 19th May 2013||Afternoon walk – Fairford and its industrial past|
|Sunday 9th June 2013||Afternoon Visit to Oldwood Pits|
|Sunday 7th July 2013||Afternoon visit to a private tractor collection|
|Sunday 11th August 2013||Afternoon Walk, Little Avon Mills (part 2)|
Sunday 28th April 2013
Afternoon Walk, Forest of Dean - the Whitecroft area
Transport and mining features around Whitecroft in the Forest of Dean will be seen on this walk to be led by Frank Colls. The main line of the Severn and Wye Railway went through Whitecroft, now with its newly built station opened last year. Nearby is the junction for the Mineral Loop and a stretch north through Pillowell. Whitecroft is still home to some modern industries but a few old manufacturing buildings survive. This will be a walk of around 2-3 miles on roads and forest tracks, with some rough terrain so boots are advised. We assemble from 1.45 for a 2pm start by the platform of Whitecroft Station on the Dean Forest Railway. Parking is available on the forecourt of Forest of Dean Tyres (at SO619063) but please keep well clear of all the large doors. This is on the east side of the road to Parkend just after the sharp bend by the Miners Arms. An alternative is to park at Norchard and take the Dean Forest Railway to Whitecroft and so give your support to this splendid enterprise. It is a steam running day and the 1353 from Norchard gets to Whitecroft at 1401. The return would have to be the 1602 from Whitecroft, back at Norchard 1610. If you choose this method, because the DFR only have an All Day Rover ticket for the whole line, it would be best to plan for a longer visit so please consult their website at www.dfr.co.uk for timings and other information. If you intend to travel this way, please let Frank know (01452 538366).
Sunday 19th May 2013
Afternoon walk – Fairford and its industrial past
Alan and Sue Strickland will lead a walk around Fairford looking at how this early market town has grown through the centuries as modern technologies have evolved. Moving away from the well know Fairford links with Concorde and the International Air Tattoo, we will start in the High Street with the changes from tradesmen’s shops and markets, before following a route around the town to see other features of interest. We will look at various sites, including the town gas works, garages, gravel workings, passing close to the old railway station, water mill and early agricultural buildings. Walking boots are recommended as the river paths may be muddy. Distance 4 miles along flat easy-going paths. Meet 1-45 for a 2 pm start in the car park at the top of Fairford High Street (SP151012)
Sunday 9th June 2013
Afternoon Visit to Oldwood Pits
We have the chance for a small group to visit a former mining site in the South Gloucestershire coalfield near Yate. The mine was worked during the 19th century and eventually closed in 1888. Some surface walls and features remain (spoil heaps, screens and a drift mine entrance) and a building which had been the mine office is now a private residence. Some years ago a bricked-up shaft was discovered and, mainly through the efforts of members of the South Gloucestershire Mines Research Group, some structural work to give safe viewing access has been carried out. Also, a number of mine-related artefacts have been acquired. For the visit, which will last around 2 hours, stout footwear is needed since there is some rough and uneven ground. There is a fee of £5 per person (which includes tea and cake) which helps support the work of the SGMRG. Meet from 1.45 for a 2pm start at Oldwood Pits, Tanhouse Lane, Rangeworthy, BS37 7PZ. This is best approached from the Rangeworthy to Yate road (B4058) by turning east into Manor Road, then bear left into Tanhouse Lane and, at the next minor crossroads, turn left into Oldwood Lane and the site is on the left (ST701852). Some off- road parking is available but please try to car share if possible. Members must book places in advance by phoning Frank on 01452 538366 and confirming with a cheque (payable to GSIA for £5) to be sent to 1c Edwy Parade, Gloucester GL1 2QH.
Sunday 7th July 2013
Afternoon visit to a private tractor collection
Details will appear later
Sunday 11th August 2013
Afternoon Walk, Little Avon Mills (part 2)
This is the second of a series of four walks where we will be looking at the rich and varied remains of the mills on the Little Avon River between Ozleworth Bottom (near Alderley) and the River Severn at Berkeley. We will meet at 1.45pm for a prompt start at 2.00pm. Full details will appear later.